Sunday, August 28, 2016

How to Paint a Pet Portrait

Hey creative friends!

I like simple brush strokes

and rustic paint styling.

I thought I would share

how you can use a simplified tracing method

to achieve a textured pet portrait.


Here are some cute beach dogs -








 

First start with your pets photo

and you will need to put it into photoshop.

Brighten the photo and give it a lot of contrast

so you can clearly see your pet's  face.

Create a new layer on top of the photo

and trace your pets outline and features.

Print onto paper and transfer onto your board.






I did a chalk transfer onto brown washed boards.




Using the easy dip and drag paint method,

with cardstock, drag paint across boards

around the outline of your pet.

You could certainly try this on canvas too,

but won't have quite as much texture.






I used a brush for the sky.






Then I chalked in the finer details of the face.




Now you have  a good outline

and can use a brush or cardstock 

to fill in areas with color.

You will need finer brushes for the eyes.








Even if you don't have a photo of your dog on a beach,

it would be fun to put him on a beach!




Hope you give it a try!

Deb



Link Parties:











9 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

Lovely work as always! Great tutorial.

20 North Ora said...

Hi Deb! Good to see your post. Adorable painting! Thanks for the tutorial.

Judy

thepaintedapron.com said...

Very Cool!!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks so much girls!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Love it, and your instructions.

Anonymous said...

Would have loved to read your post.
There is an advertisement on each and every photo.
I got tired of closing each ad in order to read the post.
Sorry, please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to be rude,
just thought you should know.
Linda C in Seattle

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you Linda C!
I had no idea. My ads changed recently and I am not familiar yet.
May have to entirely remove.
Thank you again. That is such a pain. I agree.
Appreciation,
Deb

Anonymous said...

Great Tutorial Deb!You are really very talented and creative.Everyday I keep checking your etsy shop to see when your work is available.I would really like to buy a few :)-Shania

Deb Hrabik said...

Much appreciation Shania!
Gosh, I have been trying to make a career decision. I think I will be closing my Etsy store. I am working on Surface Pattern Design to license right now. I can't find the time to do both plus watch my new grandson! Talk about multi-tasking. If I do reopen I will post on my blog or instagram @debhrabik
Thanks so much !
Deb