Monday, January 6, 2014

How to Paint Beach Art

I love the newness of the year

and all of the things to look forward to.

It is -9 degrees today

so I am already looking forward to warmer weather.

Think positive.

Paint a Beach.




Pin It!
I know I have done other tutorials 

on really long beach art like this




and this




But today I thought I would paint

a different size and slightly different palette.

So,

this piece is 18" x 33",

constructed from Cedar Fence Boards.




Paint with a brown wash.



Using a folded piece of cardstock,

about 2" wide,

dip half in white and half in Antique White

and drag across area where you want your sand to be.

It will take about 3 applications.

It will be textured and rough and 

the bottom board will show through in places.






Use the cardstock dragging method for the light water too.

I used light gray, white and sea breeze.

Keep lots of white in the mix.

I pulled a butter knife loaded with white paint

over the top edge of the sand

(like the water's foam)

and splattered the sand with brown paint.





Now I switch to a brush for the smoother waters

on the horizon.

Using darker gray, white and sea breeze,

which is a light aqua blue,

brush darker water area.




After it dries,

use cardstock to pull some lighter sea breeze

over the top.


For the very darkest blue,

add a little navy and gray and black

at the horizon.



Pin It!

This sunset is a buttery gold.

I used Americana Antique Gold and white

for the brushed on base.




Then I used raw sienna and burnt sienna

to dry brush over in certain areas for depth.





Pin It!

Using the side of your cardstock,

pull a line of white 

in between the blues.

Bring some brown back onto edges

with a dry brush.




Now you have a little piece

of "some beach somewhere"

where it's

"Sunny and 75"!

Wouldn't that be nice!



Pin It!



Stay warm friends!

Deb

*here is another idea for you to try -
paint your beach dog!


You can read about the image transfer in this post.




Sharing At:

28 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

Ahhhh to be there right now.....

Twice Nice said...

Perfect kind of day for this artwork!! I'm dreaming'...

Deb Hrabik said...

I know! School was cancelled today for the cold temps. We are playing cards and games with our granddaughter.

Linda said...

We are experiencing some very frigid temps here in Northern Ontario. Minus 40 with the wind chill. So your painting brings warmth. Love it!!

Unknown said...

Very nice! Great tutorial!

Leslie said...

I love these!!!! Beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial.
Stay warm.

Robin Johnson said...

You are so talented! Thanks for showing us how to do it. I am not at all talented in the painting department but I so want to give this a try.

Dee said...

Deb, you always make it look so easy. Your painting warms my heart, thanks for sharing, Dee from My Painted Stuff

Jamie | anderson + grant said...

You make painting this look so simple! I always over-analyze what I paint....second guessing every last brush stroke! Amazing job yet again.

Deb Hrabik said...

I know what you mean by over analyzing! But sometimes you just think about simple color layers. That's why I like to share the color selection because I've already gone through trial and error finding what looks good together.
Fun to experiment!

Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods said...

Thank you so much for sharing your artwork with us! And so explaining how you painted the piece. I'm adding this to my to-do list!

Happy creating!

Gina Kleinworth said...

Every time I see something beautiful & I pop over to take a look - I end up in your space. I just love this- reminds me of home. Your talent & vision is inspiring!!

Art Is Beauty said...

I always love what you do...as and artist and Beach lover,I am ALWAYS in love with what you do!
Thanks so much for linking up to Twirl and Take a bow~!
http://arttisbeauty.blogspot.com/2014/01/twirl-and-take-bow-link-party-and.html
Hugs
Karin

Kathy said...

The painting looks wonderful. Great tutorial! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

The light gray and sea breeze color, do you recall the brand name?

Deb Hrabik said...

Happy to help -
Americana Sea Breeze
For the gray - I just mixed a puddle of black and white.
Enjoy your project!
Deb

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. It was so easy to follow and made me excited about trying something new!

Deb Hrabik said...

That's so great to hear, Anne!
Thanks for letting me know. I always appreciate hearing when someone tries a project.
Deb

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore this. I think I might be looking into designing a similar piece for my spare room. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Peace & Love

Tina said...

Great job, I think I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing :) .

Inga's This and That said...

I love your artwork. It captures a mood with color. I have used the card stock drag technique and every time it comes out lovely. I never quite know until it dries what it really is going to look like. I am going to try this. I scored some pallets and plan on using them for this. Thank you again for taking the time to do a tutorial that is doable for me.

nomadjanet said...

I really like your tutorial I am trying to pain a sign for the porch of our coast house. Wondering if you have ever done one for outside?

Deb Hrabik said...

Great! The paint should be fine outside. The fence boards might expand and shrink in the weather though.
Hope you have a great project,
Deb

KathyO said...

Hi Deb - love your work! Do you sell your pieces? If so, where can I find them? Thanks.

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Kathy,
Thank you for your note!
My Etsy store is closed right now.
If I do reopen, it would be later this summer.
My shop is
www.etsy.com/shop/debhrabikdesigns

Thanks!
Deb

Unknown said...

Okay, I am inspired!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks so much!
Hope you all love making your beach art!
Deb