Friday, June 14, 2013

Layered Paint Style - Red and Aqua

I'm a paint layer.
 
 
 
Pin It!
 
I love to see the way colors blend
 
and lay next to each other.
 
 
 
 
So I lay them down
 
sometimes one layer at a time
 
and sometimes 2 or 3 colors on one brush.
 
 
Today I'm working on
 
two tables that will live in a lake home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Layers of paint color gave them new life.
 
 
Double loading a large flat brush with
 
white and camel
 
give the legs of the table
 
a creamy old look.
 
 
 
 
Raw Sienna and Yellow Ochre for the
 
golden brown drop and drawer.
 
 
 
 
Then I triple loaded my brush
 
dipping in 3 colors,
 
aqua, raw sienna, and sea breeze.
 
Brush back and forth
 
creating color depth and separation.
 
 
 
 
If you want a more blended look,
 
add glaze.
 
If you want more color separation,
 
just paint.
 
If  you think your brush is running out of paint
 
too quickly, dip your brush in water
 
and then load.
 
For more depth and dimension,
 
dry brush raw sienna and brown in places.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I even dry brushed black on some edges.
 
(dipping in black paint and rubbing it off
 
on a paper towel, then applying)
 
 
 
 
 
 
For the Red and Aqua table,
 
I based in aqua and covered over with red
 
and then added some aqua on top again.
 
 
 
 
On the lampstand base,
 
I double loaded Dark Aqua and brown
 
for the top coat
 
and let some red base show through.
 
 
 
It's fun to experiment with color combinations.
 
So easy to change.
 
No fear.
 
 
 
Pin It!
 
So fun to see shabby little brown
 
and unused furniture
 
become the life of the party.
 
Hope you're all up to something fun too!
 
Deb
 
 
 
Link Parties:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Aha!!! I can so relate. I do the same thing. :-) I am never satisfied with a solid colour. I layer and layer... Double load and triple load. Glad to be in such esteemed company. A client wanted a piece on a stark black background and i was hard pressed to be satisfied with a flat black canvas. But actually the end result was quite nice :-)
Luv the table!!
Hugs, Gee

20 North Ora said...

Cute projects. I did my project "Patriotic Banner" day before yesterday on my blog. It was layering like your instructions. It came out pretty good.

Love everything you do!

Judy

cindy said...

OH how I love you for showing us how you get your looks! I bought a wooden candlestick on super-duper clearance at Hobby Lobby...it was red with a bit of yellow peeking thru. I brought it home (for $3, had been 30!!! Wha?) and covered it in turquoise in a random fashion so the red would show thru, then distressed it so even more of the red would show, then used some dark wax. Delish! So obviously, I love that aqua and red table!

Debbie @ MeandMyDIY said...

Thanks for the great tips Deb. I love the looks that you're able to create. I tried following one of your tutorials once on a sign, and loved the results. Your blog is a wealth of information. Thanks for sharing your talents with the rest of us mortals. ;) Hope you're having a great weekend!

Debbie

Unknown said...

Just saw your link at boogieboard cottage. I loved the red and aqua table from the thumbnail but when i got over here, i fell in love with the other too. Fantastic job as always. Love your stuff!

Twice Nice said...

I so love your layered looks! I'll bet those pieces will be the center of attention for years to come.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Very cute lamp table. The color layering worked very well.

Krista Aasen said...

So pretty Deb - you are a master at creating such beautiful texture by layering your paint. Awesome!

Number Fifty-Three said...

Great updates! I love the combo of red and aqua together and my favorite technique is to layer colors when I paint furniture. So glad I stopped by!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

One Shabby Old House said...

Wow you are an artist. Your work is fabulous!

reFresh reStyle said...

I love your layering! Have a great week :)
Debbie

thepaintedapron.com said...

I love to paint this way, I often do a whole painting with the same brush, love a double or triple loaded brush! Your pieces look fabulous as always!
Jenna

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your technique. I'm your new follower. I would love for you to stop by and visit me too.