Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Nickel Gray and White Dresser

Hey Friends!
I've got a quick and easy
dresser transformation
for you today.

Tone on tone color palettes
are so restful.
So what could be a better choice
for a bedroom dresser.



Satin Nickel Cup Pulls
make a nice accent
to the gray and white base.

A big contrast to the before....black and gold.



After sanding the dresser,
I didn't prime at all because
it wouldn't matter if a little of the black
would show through.

I used clear glaze, semi-gloss white paint,
and a charcoal gray that I mixed.



I used an old ragged chip brush
that would show linear movement in the brush stroke.
Dip the end of the brush in the glaze,
then dip one side of the brush in the gray
and one side of the brush in the white
and pull across the wood in a straight
back and forth motion.

I let the first coat dry and then repeated.



You might remember I used the same paint finish
on the bottom of this end table.



I put a poly acrylic sealer on top.

The satin nickel cup pulls are what really finished it off.
I ordered them on ebay for about $1.60 each plus shipping.
So the total cost for the pulls was maybe $20.
But really, it makes such a big difference, it's worth it.

But just when I'm thinking "How easy is this"
then come to find out my screws for the pulls are too long.
So I had to get some shorter ones.
And the holes for the pulls aren't large enough
so I have to drill a bit bigger.







Okay, still a quick transformation.
I never get tired of giving new life to something old and worn.





not a diving board, just fyi.









This was the perfect project for my busy Labor Day weekend.

I had several paint projects going.
It was a juggling act.
Plus I sold art here at the lake
and got to meet several people...
even another lake girl that loves to paint
and make a home...Hi Shellie!
Dumpster Diving with a vision and a paintbrush!
Now that's the DIY blog bond.
I know you all are out there!
And I thank you all for your visits here.
Deb

Linking to:

Tuesday:        Primitive and Proper
                      Elizabeth and Co.
                      My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                      Coastal Charm
                      Home Stories A to Z

Wednesday:  Savvy Southern Style

Thursday:       The Shabby Creek Cottage
                       Beyond the Picket Fence
                       Embracing Change
                       House of Hepworths
                       Delightful Order
                       Stone Gable
                       The 36th Avenue

Friday:            Redoux Interiors
                       At the Picket Fence
                       Miss Mustard Seed
                       The Shabby Nest

Saturday:        Funky Junk Interiors

16 comments:

Twice Nice said...

I love the movement you can see in your work! It's lovely, and soothing and looks so silky smooth!

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks so pretty now, and what a huge difference that hardware makes!

Unknown said...

LOVE THE WAY IT TURNED OUT. A VERY NICE LOOK TO THE PAINT!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, it's always something that needs some tweeking when changing out hardware. I like to leave that up to the mermen while I do the painting but you know your stuff!

Deb Hrabik said...

Funny Gypsea!
Yes, my merman jumped ship and left me to all the hardware detail.

Jeannie-JB said...

Wow - Fabulous job! I love this dresser. So, So pretty.

Courtney said...

Gorgeous Deb, those pulls really suit, even though they weren't straight forward to get on:)

Susie's Sassy DIY said...

Gorgeous, I love the look of this. Great Job Deb.

Shellie Rhoden said...

I feel like a famous person just gave me a shout out on her blog :) Thank you, Deb! You are "my idol" as Kyle would say.

Molly said...

Your dresser turned out great, the colors are very soft looking. It also looks kinda modern. :]

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

I love how it turned out. GREAT job. I have some bookcases in my boys' room that I'm planning to repaint and I think I'll use this method. I've never worked with glaze before.

Sarah @ 20 State said...

Sigh...love it, looks fantastic!

Jaimee said...

I often overlook dressers like this as too "plain jane," but your paint job has me looking twice. Such a beautiful job!

reFresh reStyle said...

That dresser is perfect!!! I think I'm going to try your drag technique on a tabletop :) wish me luck!
Debbie

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a pretty update! And I love the new hardware!

Megan Gunyan said...

It's so beautiful! I love this paint method, I'll have to try it. Love the chrome handles as well...I always run into this problem! The screws are always too long or too short. Very frustrating. :)